× This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box.

My success with Tamsulosin

Hi, I have been suffering with paruresis all my life. A few months ago I started to have severe difficulty peeing at home rather than in public places. To cut a long story short, to help me manage it I was referred to a urology nurse who showed me how to use catheters and gave me a supply of them. However at some point I had an appointment with a urologist who said my prostate was very slightly enlarged so he prescribed Tamsulosin. This is a drug which targets certain muscles and relaxes them. I am now able to pee normally and, even if I get nervous going, I never once have difficulty no matter where I am. I even committed the sin of trying to squeeze one out before going to the shops. Although I was there for longer than usual I still had all the right feelings I needed to pee. A few times in public toilets I have got a little nervous but I can now pee with no difficulty. I do not think a doctor would prescribe this for someone who has Paruresis, but I was convinced that my problem was my Paruresis getting out of control and not a problem with my prostate. However the drug has not only relaxed my prostate but it has also taken away that strange feeling I have when I am nervous about going for a pee. I am 55 so I am in the right demographic for prostate problems. So if anyone here has had a situation where the problem has become out of control suddenly, it could be time to get your prostate checked because this could be compounding the problem and you may be just putting it down to the Paruresis.

#1365 by Garry

Hi Garry
Thanks for your posting. It is always helpful to have real life examples fo what works and why. Do you have to take it regularly for ever now? And are there any side effects mentioned in the medication's leaflet?
BTW I googled it and found it was spelt differently, so edited your post.
Cheers
Andrew

#1366 by andrew

I’ve only just noticed this post.
My g.p never diagnosed my paruresis, I found out what it was by myself.
Before I found out it was paruresis I persuaded my g.p to try me on diuretics in the hope that they’d make me go no matter how high my anxiety was but unfortunately they didn’t work for me. They did create a sudden and desperate need to go but when I stood at urinals, still nothing would come out. When I gave up and would go home I would have to rush to the bathroom very quickly. The walk home was so uncomfortable.
I think I only tried one box and gave up.
The diuretics I tried were Tamsulosin too.
I’m glad that they helped you Garry and I hope you’ve continued to be successful.

#3174 by Karl

Hi Garry. I am intrigued because I am in the same situation. Would you like to tell me more? How many pills per day? What dosage? I’d ask my doctor to prescribe it. If you want please reply to my email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Many thanks.
Enrico

#3344 by Enrico
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds
Find the UK Paruresis Trust on Facebook
Follow the UK Paruresis Trust on Twitter/X
Follow the UK Paruresis Trust on YouTube
Follow us on Instagram
Registered with Fundraising Regulator
Community Fund
BMA Patient Information Awards Highly Commended 2019
Trusted Information Creator
Copyright © 2017 United Kingdom Paruresis Trust. All Rights Reserved.
Last review date: January 2023.
Next review date: January 2026.

UK Charity Registration Number 1109541
Privacy and Cookies Policy